July 11, 2010

Visit to Oklahoma - Part 1 (Eastern)

The Greenies took a little time off for the Independence Day holiday and went to eastern Oklahoma to visit Matt's sister (Becky) and niece (Nicole). Since we drove overnight, Carter slept most of the 11 hours and was ready to play when we got there at 4AM (make that 5AM CST)...

Here are a few shots of Becky and Nicole with Carter:

On Saturday night, we took everyone out for an Italian dinner at Pete's Place (which is actually in Krebs, OK) and had some tasty Choc Beer (I had the peach beer which was T.A.S.T.Y.!!!). It's a cute little restaurant that is set up like "home," and we got to sit in a little room all by ourselves. Which was nice, as Carter wasn't as distracted as he usually gets in a busy restaurant!

Matt's buddy Wes also made the 2-hour trek (thanks Wes!!) to visit with us for dinner and then we all went back to Beck's for some conversation. Here's a shot of the boys:
We didn't actually light any fireworks on the 4th, but we DID have a little excitement as we went for a walk around the ranch. As we were pushing Carter's stroller, one of the cows started following us. I was starting to freak out a little (remember, I grew up in the city...), as Mr. Cow was about 3 feet behind me! And he was licking his lips and staring at me like I would make a good lunch!

When I turned around, there were 3 MORE rogue cows following us! Then I was REALLY freaking and Matt kept saying everything was going to be ok. And THEN, the ENTIRE HERD was following us (so that's like 10 cows!)! They must have thought that we were pushing some kind of "cow food" in our stroller and were eager to be fed (and here I thought cows were herbivores...NOT meat eaters!)!

Beck and Nicole were watching us out the windows and Beck drove up quickly to "rescue" us. She put the cows in the pen and we were able to continue on our walk. (And later, both her and Nicole said that they'd never seen anything like that before! Lucky us!!)

For fun, here's a shot of the rogue cattle being herded by Becky:
And here they are safely tucked in the pen:
Carter really enjoyed being on the ranch and got a kick out of seeing the cows, horses (and even a baby foal...that would spread it's front legs out to bend down to eat grass....oh so cute!), kitties, and Red, the shaggy red dog that would pretty much eat anything! While inside the house, Matt and I would point outside and say, "Look at that!" and Carter would come running and want to be held up so he could see too! The cows and horses typically would just run free and would often be just right outside the window, much to the delight of Carter.

Anyway, back to the 4th walk... Here're a few shots from our trek:
A shot looking up at the house (which sits atop a mountain and was made by hand by Beck's family):
And the house (we call it the "Log Mansion"instead of the Log Cabin...because it's HUGE!):
And finally, coming in from the humidity and heat:
Just check out that sweat on Carter's forehead! I tell ya, we sure don't miss the humidity in Albuquerque!!!
And finally, a quick little video of Beck and Nicole dancing with Carter to the "Happy" song. It's a cheesy little song that Matt and I made up and it puts a smile on Carter's face EVERY time we sing it. Pretty simple and YOU can sing it too (we just sing faster and faster as the song goes along):

"I'm H-A-P-P-Y!
I'm H-A-P-P-Y!
I'm H-A-P-P
H-A-P-P
H-A-P-P-YYYYYYY!!"




It was a great trip and it was nice to just chill out and relax for an entire day! However, on Monday morning, we packed up and hit the road to see our pals in the Oklahoma City area. More on that in the next post.

Beck, Nicole - thank you for a wonderful time!
~kerrie

No comments:

Post a Comment